July 17, 2013

Dessert-First Date

My wife and I recently read one of those inspirational, stop-taking-your-life-for-granted books. Though I didn’t think the book was good enough to warrant recommending to others, there was a passing comment made in one chapter that I thought could be tweaked for a fabulous date idea.

You know how whenever you go out to restaurants the waiter comes up at the end of your overly-sized meal and asks if you want dessert? I don’t know about you, but my wife and I always say no. It’s not because we don’t want it, it’s just that we’re too full for it. Desert always seems like a good idea at the beginning of a meal, but it’s not something you particularly want to spend money on when you’re feeling completely stuffed.

So here’s the date idea. Take your wife out on a Dessert-First Date. Tell her that you both are going out to eat at her favorite restaurant, but there’s a twist: Before she can eat dinner, she must have dessert. You’re going to spend an evening doing something that flies in the face of everything your momma taught you: you’re going to ruin your dinner. After you both enjoy a sweet first course, then order something small afterward: a soup, salad, or an entree you both share.

It’s crazy, and it’s not something anyone should make a habit of, but that’s exactly why it will be a wonderful date. It’s a fun twist on that default dinner date we're all so accustomed to.

3 comments:

  1. a novel idea! Funny we were discussing how desert is usually not cheap and so most people end up omitting it yet deep down they'd really love some!
    You commented on my blog (kittenscushion) so I thought I'd come read your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the great ideas! Keep at this blog you are doing great work. I plan on doing this idea on our next date.

    ReplyDelete